Thursday, January 29, 2009

Think Warm Thoughts...

I love living in Milwaukee. Now, currently, it may be kind of awful dealing with the winter weather. Facing those below-zero temperatures, lake-effect wind and 20 inches of snow when walking to class can be brutal...but it just makes me nostalgic for summer in Milwaukee.

For me, there are five vital elements to a successful summer in Milwaukee.

1. Warm weather - I'm often surprised at the fact that, despite the fact that I was born and raised in the Chicago area and chose to go to college in Milwaukee, I despise the cold. What's more surprising is that I plan to STAY in the Midwest...Maybe it's because I know how great the summers can be, so I suffer through the bitter winter weather.

2. Great friends - I'm lucky enough to still be a student. This means I get to enjoy my summers, free of classes. Yes, I'll be working (hopefully interning somewhere wonderful), but I still get to enjoy being young. And a summer in Milwaukee is even better when you can surround yourself with great friends who provide fun times.

3. Summerfest - This one is a given. I essentially LIVE on the Summerfest grounds during that week. Great music, great food, and great people enjoying themselves. My favorite part of Summerfest is arriving early in the day to check out the lesser-known bands. I've discovered some really talented artists at Summerfest. Of course, inexpensively seeing my favorite bands is a great perk.

4. Shopping on Brady Street - One of my absolute FAVORITE things to do is spend a day on the east side of the city. There are great second-hand shops, botiques, and antique shops to peruse. The cafes and restaurants are all so delicious. It may be my inner-artist talking, but I am addicted to the creative feel of this side of town. Everything is a piece of art.

5. Jazz in the Park - I love Jazz in the Park because I get to enjoy excellent music, being outdoors and packing a picnic. And very importantly, IT'S FREE! (As a college student, this is a huge plus!)

No comments:

Post a Comment